Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"She Was a Tomboy"

Sometimes I feel like I should act more like a lady. The thing is I am very comfortable acting the way that I do. For me to act as if I cared about the newest makeup or your dress being "So cute! Where did you get it?!"... If I tried to mimic all of those little cares, I feel as if I would be merely playing a joke on people. Don't get me wrong; I can pretend that I am a regal creature, tip toeing about in the smallest steps that I can, with the smallest feet imaginable (constantly pointed, of course, for good measure). I could have the perfect hair and keep my nails perfectly manicured. I could brush my hair "thrice" a day and only speak when spoken to. But I am afraid none of that is me. I am the type of girl that is infamously clumsy, would much rather leave my house with wet hair than feel as if I tried too hard and would do anything that I am dared to do. For example, last night I stayed awake with a friend until five o'clock in the morning walking up and down railroad tracks, intently watching for the perfect train to smash the pennies we held onto with such excitement. This is normal for me. At some point along the way, I feel as if I traded high heels for tree climbing and my mother's lipstick for my dad's music. And the best thing about these seemingly unfortunate mix-ups is that I wouldn't trade them for anything, because those are all of the things that I really enjoy- I cannot realistically wish I were any different. So for every time I have heard the word "tomboy" thrown at me, I have learned to take that with a sense of pride. Despite the negative connotation that comes with a label such as this, at least it shows that one was recognized for not being exactly like everyone else. As a kid, I never wanted to "fit in." I wanted to do something different- be my own person. I believe that everyone has that desire and that right, if they weren't afraid of being the only one that would use it. Cookie cutter humans are beautiful, but the ones with a few rough edges are the most appealing to me.

2 comments:

  1. I share your woes. I am a girlie girl and I love shoes and handbags. But, I also love to watch football. I have my own golf clubs, I play video games, and I read books that are not of the romance genre. I have been told all my life that I need to learn to cook, clean, sew, and iron to be valuable. That's just not the kind of girl I am and I'm not sorry for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can go either way, though I'm more un-girly. I'd rather be digging in the dirt.

    K. Smith
    Eng. 226

    ReplyDelete